Tuesday 21 June 2011

What's next for Rosie Webster?

I'm thinking I might be in a minority here, but I find Helen Flanagan's "turn" as Corrie's Rosie Webster very enjoyable. In fact, I've always thought she was a good character. I thought she was great as a Goth, and really funny as John Stape's seducer/nemesis.

She gets plenty of stick for getting her "nadgers" out and pouting too much, but personally I think Corrie is right to have a character who portrays the current desperation for WAG-style fame among some youngsters. The boob job sub-plot was well-observed. She gets some good lines as well. In a recent episode I liked her referring to John Stape and Charlotte as "pair of freaks" (spot on!) and thought her outfit with the tight tee shirt and the huge sunglasses was vintage Rosie.

They've got her as a cartoony, Betty Boop type, not meant to be taken too seriously, and I think Helen carries it off really well. But, I'd like to see her as less of a cardboard cut out. Rosie has a venal side but she's not totally self-serving and shallow - she's shown support to her mum and sister, for example. Interesting to see where this Coronation Street character goes next. In the meantime - I've started knitting her a nice cardi.


(This post was originally posted by Seapenguin on the Coronation Street Blog in June, 2010, reposted with permission.)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...