Tuesday 5 July 2011

Corrie's Peter Barlow: Take him or leave him?

(This post was originally posted by Seapenguin on the Coronation Street Blog in August, 2010, reposted with permission.)

I was just thinking about how much I'm enjoying Peter Barlow on Coronation Street these days. I think he's a brilliant male character. I would almost say he's the best in Corrie at the moment. Chris Gascoyne's got that saturnine, Heathcliff-type look going on, which is very engaging. He's someone with a pretty awful past (bigamy, anyone?) but he's tackling his alcohol problem and is genuinely trying to provide a good life for little Simon. I loved the dynamic between Peter and Blanche - the scenes around the Barlows' dining table when Maggie Jones was still with us, were just a joy to watch. And I think Peter and Leanne make a great couple.

Chris Gascoyne "does angry" really really well, and I couldn't wait to see his reaction when he found out Lewis had scarpered with his four grand - however, I wasn't entirely comfortable with the way he snapped at Leanne in recent episodes. I know (edited to remove spoiler) why, though you'll have to keep watching to figure it out.

Anyway - my top three Corrie males at the moment, are Peter, Eddie Windass, and I'm preparing to run for the hills after saying this - John Stape! anyone else got any faves just now?

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

I like Peter Barlow as well. I'm a Steve MacDonald fan from way back, I just wish his taste in women would improve! I was going to pick Norris as my third -- I love to squirm while he says such inappropriate things, but then I remembered Graeme. Graeme is a great character who also has terrible taste in women!

eila said...

Good choices: I love Peter and Graeme. Eddie's turning into an interesting character. I also like Lloyd.

Tvor said...

I couldn't possibly pick Norris. I can't stand him, never could. Good actor though.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on Peter. I love every scene he's in.

Apparently a few years ago you could buy t-shirts that said, "I love Steve MacDonald". I couldn't get one at the time, but I'd definitely wear that proudly.

And ladies, please...how could you not include Cieran? (sp??) Charming, easy on the eyes, and always terribly amusing.

Tvor said...

Ciaran, more specifically, his tattooed arms (*swoon*) are indeed splendid! Just going on performances, though, yes i would include Steve in there as well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...