Sunday 4 September 2011

Unreality TV and Jack Duckworth's Death

(This post was originally posted by Merseytart on the Coronation Street Blog November, 2010, reposted to this blog with permission.)

Coronation Street exists in a hyper-reality, I know that.  How many backstreet terraces are so frequently afflicted by disaster?  How many neighbours are so intimately involved with one another, it'd need a spider diagram to work out who's been out with who?  I get all that.

It has, however, always been filmed in a resolutely realistic style.  Corrie was born out of the 'kitchen sink' movement of the late 50s, where people's lives were suddenly put onscreen, warts and all.  Plays and films like A Taste of Honey and Saturday Night and Sunday Morning presented the working classes in stark black and white.  The British soap operas followed this style, which is why the UK's one of the few places where continuing dramas are resolutely down to earth.  Everywhere else in the world, soap operas mean glamour, wealth and excitement; in Britain, it's about the working class, the ordinary, the downtrodden.

Which is why the return of Vera didn't work for me (last week).  I understand why it was done, dramatically, but to me it felt out of place in Corrie's "house style".  The simple, unpretentious set ups and shots make it feel like you're getting a slice of life - a peep into these people's real existence.  The fantasy of Vera came into this and seemed to clash with everything else.  I like to feel that these are real people living real lives, and five times a week we get a peep behind the net curtains.

There are other stylistic touches that don't work for me in soaps either - the flashback, the musical montage.  Every now and again they have a stab at it and it strikes a false note.  (This isn't exclusive to Corrie, incidentally; EastEnders also fell into the trap when Peggy wandered around the burnt out Queen Vic, hearing voices).  It seems self-indulgent to me and I hope it's a one-off.

What do you think?  Do you think this is something Corrie should do more often?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought the return of Vera was a perfect ending. A great nod to the Duckworths, who have long been my favourite Corrie couple. She was looking fantastic, nice to see knowing her health had declined and all the little touches of the pictures, the coat on their bed etc just added to a wonderful farewell to a great actor.

Suburban Princess said...

I thought it was perfection. I didnt feel it took anything away from the working class aspect of the show - in fact added to it. Of course he would be going to Vera when he died and a beautiful shot in a different way adds to the magic.

Tiddsmom said...

I liked it I thought it was sweet.

Tvor said...

I thought it was perfect, too! Was it schmaltzy? Yes! But so right!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...