Friday 21 December 2012

Five times a week? Too much for this Corrie fan

(This post was originally posted by Graeme N on the Coronation Street Blog in December 2012.)

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm exhausted. Not from physical activity, oh no! I'm worn out trying to keep up to date with my favourite television programme, the one and only Coronation Street. I sometimes can't quite believe that I give over two and half hours of my week to the Street. But I do because I can't do without it. And if I'm jiggered from watching it, imagine how the cast and crew feel from cramming all that action in to five half hours a week. As has often been highlighted, that's like making a very long feature film every week. And I for one think it's all just too much!


Remember the good old days when Corrie went out twice a week? It seems almost leisurely now, an easy walk in the park compared to today's Corrie treadmill. The show was originally broadcast every Monday and Wednesday evening and this suited just fine until an extra Friday episode was added in 1989. Sundays were added in 1996 and finally a fifth episode came along in 2002. I can remember when an extra episode or an hour long special signified a special event, like a death, a wedding or someone else being plunged into the canal. However the more episodes that appeared, the more diluted the classic Street formula became. The jury is out for me as to whether the overall standards of Corrie plots, writing and acting have declined (I'm sure there are strong opinions on this out there!) however for me it is all about how competitive television has become.


If the new Coronation Street producer was to make any changes at all, I personally would love him to reduce the number of episodes aired every week from five down to three - Monday, Wednesday and Friday. That would also allow the massive cast of actors to be significantly reduced so everyone present could have their chance to shine. At the moment the number of babies and child actors probably totals more than the overall Corrie principal cast of 40 years ago! I know this isn't at all likely to happen. It is easy enough for the powers that be to add extra episodes, but to reduce them would immediately be pounced on by the media as a negative move, showing that the Street was losing popularity. However, I live in hope!


So what do you think? Do you agree that too many episodes of Corrie are broadcast every week? Do you think this has damaged the quality of drama Coronation Street has always been justly proud of? And what other suggestions might you have for the new producer?

I want to hear your thoughts, opinions and suggestions! As you can see, Hilda's on tenterhooks! 




Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...