Saturday 15 December 2012

Thoughts on last night's Corrie

(This post was originally posted by Graeme N on the Coronation Street Blog in December 2012.)

I really did find watching Coronation Street to be an irritating experience last night! Not because it was dreadful or badly written, but because I got involved and invested time in the two main stories featured. And I do hate myself a little for caring at all about the turgid ongoing surrogate story. However, with both the surrogate storyline and the developing baby plot with David and Kylie I felt myself coming down strongly on the side of one character both times. It may be controversial but I have to get this off my chest, here's what I think.


Round 1 - Tina v Tommy

I've never been a fan of Tina, in fact I would quite happily axe her soon as look at her. And no, I don't mean literally take an axe to her. Tommy isn't far behind her in the unpopularity stakes with that constant puppy dog expression and his inability to man-up as it were. I have already commented on how these characters have been written old before their time, however the surrogate story is obviously not going away anytime soon. I know Tina is doing a good thing for Gary and Izzy however I can't help but side with Tommy in all this. I don't like how every situation revolves around Tina as if she is the centre of everyone's world. And I hate what this story has done to the previously quite reasonable Windass family. Yes, I know Tina is only doing this to get her and Tommy out of the debt Duckworth Junior got them into, but there must surely have been an easier way?! I mean, Rita, Ginger Goddess of the Gum Drops was handing the money over  to our little tangerine Tina without even the slightest mention of a vodka and tonic on the house! If I was Tommy I'd be running for the hills! Or at least Blackpool to see his granny Doreen. She must have money. Well, they did have a Jag back in the day when they paid for him.

Round 2 - David v Kylie

I have really taken to Kylie. The writers have been giving her some great material and she always carries it off with aplomb. Dare I say I actually prefer Kylie's character to Becky? I do hope Paula Lane's career takes off as well as Katherine Kelly's has done, post-Corrie. However, back to the plot! I'm loving the new career-driven Kylie, taking pride in her work and showing there's a lot more to her than meets the eye. I got very annoyed with David last night as he really should be supporting her endeavours, given that he wouldn't help her out at the Salon. Instead David, set on becoming a father (God help us all), flounced out when Kylie refused to go with him for another baby-making session (again, God help us all). Surely his childish behaviour means he is really not ready to be a father?? Anyway, I cannot wait for this story to develop further, as David's reaction when he finds out Kylie is on the pill is bound to be worth waiting for. 


So whose side are you on? Do you agree with me? Or are you just shocked and stunned that I've managed to write something vaguely positive about Tina's surrogate storyline? 



Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...