Thursday 6 June 2013

Could you ever give up watching Coronation Street?

(This post was originally posted by Flaming Nora on the Coronation Street Blog May 2013, reposted to this blog with permission.)

TV reviewer Paddy Shennan at The Liverpool Echo has given up watching Coronation Street.

"So what?" You might think.

Well, he's been watching it for 45 years.

But he's finally had enough. Read his reasons here, it's a good piece and sadly I know exactly where he's coming from.  I've felt like giving up too over the last few months, mainly because of Stella. But I'm a stubborn old girl and refuse to give in, it'd be like letting the school bully win.

I did stop watching during the silly summer of Stape when I gave up for a few nights when Corrie was on every night.  My heart fills with dread of Corrie being on almost every night next week too.  'Big' weeks aren't my favourite thing. It's the small things I like, the dialogue, the looks.

So I'm still sticking with Corrie and hoping and hoping it'll get better again soon under new producer Stuart Blackburn. There's a glimmer of hope that it might.

Could you give it up? Would you?



Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have watched Corrie since the beginning..yes, I'm THAT old! I live in the States and no, I couldn't give it up even though there are times, many, over the years that I have felt like it. It is a part of my childhood and the connection I had with my parents...the nostalgia wins out every time for me through the awful stories and the highs of the good ones....now put the kettle on!

Shan said...

I've only been watching for a decade and I'm hooked so I don't think that will happen any time soon. But I go through periods where I record it but don't watch and all of a sudden I'm a few months behind!
I think 45 years is a long time though and times and people change and I can see why some people don't find it the same anymore.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...