Monday 30 September 2013

Dissing the Devster


(This post was originally posted by Graeme N on the Coronation Street Blog in September 2013.)

I was maybe a little harsh when I blogged yesterday on the aftermath of the Karl Munro saga. Having thought about it, maybe Dev isn't so bad after all...

I mean the Devster has been a fixture of Coronation Street for fourteen years now so Jimmi Harkishin must be doing something right. I've never really been a massive fan of the character though I admit. I liked him with Sunita the first time around - she humanised him in the same kind of way that Alma brought out the best in Mike Baldwin. However, Dev and Sunita the second time was just one big boring mistake.

I also quite liked his partnership with Vikram back in the day. Mainly because I thought Vik was a good character. And when daughter Amber first appeared, she gave her dad a good run for his money and that was fun to watch.

On the negative side, we had that dreadful long running storyline where Dev got involved with both mother and daughter. Where on earth did the writing team get that one from? I still shudder at the thought of that big naked portrait of the Devster being unveiled. And while I'm shuddering there's always the Dev/Deirdre pairing haunting us all like a very unwanted party guest.

So I guess it's all swings and roundabouts with Dev. The Mad Maya saga was preposterous but good fun, however that was mainly down to the magnificently bonkers Maya. I keep hoping they'll bring her back to finish the job.

My main issue with Dev is that he just doesn't really fit into Weatherfield life. Sure he's got the kids and a local business, but I just don't think he suits the Corner Shop anymore. I agree with David that a middle aged woman should be running that place, making it more of a neighbourhood hub once again. He also does not come across as the kind of character to be living in the middle of that terrace either. I thought it was weird when the Alahan's bought that house, and I still can't fathom it.

So am I harsh about Dev? Is he a character worth nurturing for the years to come? 


Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...