Friday 11 July 2014

In a lull over Corrie

(This post was originally posted by Llifon on the Coronation Street Blog in June 2014.)

Over the past few months I've been in a lull over Corrie. And I know I've commented on various posts that the show's hit a rough patch and we should keep the faith, but I've been finding myself recently only watching Corrie because that's what I usually do, and not for enjoyment. For instance, last week's hour-long episode (Tina's funeral) for me felt like an age, and I even think it's shocking that I say that!

It's not that the acting is bad, but it's the storylines. My dad's not a Corrie fan, and when I'm watching Corrie he tells me to turn off 'that rubbish' and saying that it's not as good as it was back in the days of Ena Sharples and Hilda Ogden. Back then of course, everyone watched Corrie - there were only three channels. But recently I tend to agree with him, and that's scary! I get more enjoyment from watching old Corrie episodes on the internet or DVDs, even though I know the conclusion of plots. But it's the characters that make it for me. And what was great about those episodes was that no character overpowered the others. Today, we have the likes of Peter, Carla, Rob, Anna and we did have Tina hogging our TV screens. I do like these characters, but in moderation.

Corrie has also been extreme in another sense - underusing characters. Audrey has been cruelly underused this year while we don't see enough of Kirk and Beth. Norris has been on the back burner since his storyline with brother Ramsay nearly 5 years ago (apart from Mary imprisoning him in a Yorkshire cottage!)! And while maybe Eileen Derbyshire's health or age won't allow it, I do miss Emily popping up in the Rovers booth on a regular basis. I don't know what the future holds for Rita now that's Tina gone and Dennis is an embarrassment as a character, but that's no fault of Philip Lowrie. Why bring a character back and then not use them?! Baffling!

I'm delighted we've seen more of Deirdre but I have to say I have missed good old Ken. I know many haven't missed him, but I have and I've loved looking at old episodes where he appears in. And I'm excited to see him return.

I hope this lull will disappear in time, but I'm reassured with the likes of Roy, David and Kylie, Sally and Tim, Steph and the old guard that the show can survive.


Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...