Wednesday 20 December 2017

Why it's time to say goodbye to Emily in Coronation Street

(This post was originally posted by Flaming Nora on the Coronation Street Blog October 2017, reposted to this blog with permission.)


I know it's not even the end of October yet but my thoughts have already turned towards Christmas. I blame Poundland, really. Well, I was in there the other day and there was tinsel and glitter and cards and ribbons and I couldn't help myself, I have to admit, I made a start on my Christmas shopping. And as my thoughts turned to Christmas, I found myself getting a little sentimental about Emily Bishop, as you do in the middle of Poundland on an October Saturday in Sunderland.

In the show, we know that Emily is living in Peru and we hope she's having a good life and she's being looked after well. And in real life, the actress who plays Emily may - or may not - return to the show, we don't know.  It's not our business to know what goes on in the real life of the actors away from the street.

But in the show, we're invested in Emily. Many of us have grown up with her in our lives, watching her faithfully week in, week out, year in, year out.  Do we want her to be happy in Peru, forever? Of course. Is it likely that she will? Of course not. All good things come to an end, and I think it's time that Emily was given the send-off she deserves.

And so, on that sentimental Saturday in Poundland last weekend, I was thinking that Christmas would be the perfect time for a phone call to come in during Norris and Sean's Christmas dinner. It'd be a long distance phone call, from Spider in Peru, giving Norris the sad news that Emily had passed away - happily, peacefully, campaigning to save the Peruvian Whorey Ground Wort.  Norris would raise his glass of sherry and wipe away a tear. Sean would look on with a wistful smile.

At home, watching this unfold on Christmas night when we're stuffed full of chocolates and turkey and Bailey's Irish Cream (other Irish liqueurs are available), we fans would raise our glass too. We'd reminisce about Emily, there'd be an ITV special, the newspapers would be full of pictures and memories, and a framed picture of her would go up in the Kabin.






Tvor @tvordlj on Twitter

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...